Do you feel like you've tried every acne solution out there but still get breakouts and frustrating flare-ups? You might be dealing with a common yet misunderstood skin issue: hormonal acne.
In this comprehensive guide, we explore the causes of hormonal acne, its triggers, and solutions so you can regain control over your skin and put your best face forward. Let’s uncover the secrets of hormonal acne treatment and reclaim your confidence.
What is Hormonal Acne?
Hormonal acne, or adult acne, is primarily influenced by hormonal fluctuations within the body. It typically occurs when the body’s hormone levels, particularly androgens (male hormones like testosterone) and some female hormones, become imbalanced.
These hormonal changes can lead to an overproduction of sebum (skin oil), which, when combined with dead skin cells and bacteria, can clog hair follicles and develop into acne lesions.
Causes of Hormonal Acne
As hormonal acne is driven by fluctuations in hormone levels within the body, here are several factors contributing to hormonal acne:
Androgens – When androgen levels increase, they stimulate the skin's sebaceous (oil) glands. This excess oil production can clog pores and create an ideal environment for acne-causing bacteria to thrive.
Menstrual Cycle – For many women, hormonal acne is closely tied to their menstrual cycle. Fluctuations in estrogen and progesterone levels can lead to increased oil production and breakouts. This is often referred to as “menstrual acne”.
Stress – Chronic stress can trigger hormonal changes in the body, including an increase in the production of cortisol, the stress hormone. Elevated cortisol levels can stimulate the sebaceous glands and worsen acne.
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) – PCOS is a hormonal disorder that affects many aspects of a woman’s health, including her skin. Women with PCOS often have higher levels of androgens, which can result in more severe and persistent hormonal acne.
Birth Control – While effective in preventing pregnancy, certain types of birth control can also influence hormone levels. Some may help clear acne, while others can exacerbate it.
Diet – Although the relationship between diet and acne is complex and varies from person to person, some research suggests that high-glycaemic-index foods and dairy products may contribute to hormonal acne in some individuals.
Genetics – Your genetics can play a role in your susceptibility to hormonal acne. If your parents or siblings had acne, you may also experience it.
Understanding these underlying causes of hormonal acne is crucial for tailoring an effective treatment plan. In the next section, we’ll explore solutions and strategies to manage and treat hormonal acne effectively.
How to Treat Hormonal Acne?
Treating hormonal acne with Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) involves a holistic approach that balances the body’s internal energies, promotes overall wellness, and addresses the root causes of acne. Here’s how:
- In TCM, practitioners will begin by diagnosing the specific pattern of hormonal imbalance in your body. This helps them determine the underlying cause of your hormonal acne.
Qi and Blood Flow Regulation
- TCM often involves regulating the flow of Qi (vital energy) and blood in the body. Acupuncture, a common TCM technique, can help reduce inflammation and improve skin health.
- Your TCM practitioner may suggest avoiding certain foods that can exacerbate hormonal acne, such as dairy and sugar, while promoting the consumption of foods that nourish the body, like leafy greens, whole grains, and herbal teas.
Consistency and Patience
- TCM treatments for hormonal acne may take some time to show noticeable results. It’s essential to follow the prescribed treatments consistently and be patient as your body rebalances and heals from within.
Consult a qualified TCM Practitioner
- It’s crucial that you consult a qualified TCM practitioner who can tailor a treatment plan specifically to your needs. They will monitor your progress and make adjustments as necessary.
Finding a Hormonal Acne Treatment in Malaysia
While TCM offers a holistic approach to treating hormonal acne, it’s important to note that results may vary. For a combination of TCM and conventional dermatological treatments, consider Doux Visage, founded by Dr Jenny Goh, its main practitioner.
It’s crucial that you work closely with your healthcare practitioner to determine the most suitable treatment plan for your specific needs and skin type. Regain your clear complexion with our hormonal acne treatment today! Reach out to us at +603 7728 6113, +6012 622 4868 or get in touch with us.